Friday, June 6, 2008

The Greatest 70 Seconds on YouTube


Earlier this week I read I fascinating interview with Gore Vidal conducted by Robert Chalmers of the United Kingdom's Independent newspaper.

I have to admit that, prior to this week, I knew basically nothing about Vidal aside from hearing the occasional reference to his recent book Point to Point Navigation and his appearance on "The Real News" offering his analysis of the upcoming 2008 election. After I finished reading Chalmers' interview, I was more than intrigued to learn more about Vidal. The interview contains so many fascinating pieces of information that I would do a great disservice to attempt to break it down. Read it - you won't regret it.

From a tryst with Jack Kerouac to his venomous, blunt denouncements of some of the largest celebrities of his time, it's safe to say Vidal's life has been anything but boring.

In searching YouTube for clips of Vidal's political analysis, I stumbled across this epic, 70 second clip from 1968. Vidal and Crossfire's host, the late William F. Buckley, engage in a heated--and somewhat comical--debate over America's policy during the Vietnam War.



Admittedly, I know about as much about Buckley as I do about Vidal, but watching Buckley come unglued upon being called a "pro or crypto-Nazi" by Vidal was easily the best part of the clip. Buckley's response, as well as the look of utter disdain on his face, was priceless. It's a shame we the public is no longer treated to battles between intellectual heavyweights like Vidal and Buckley.

Here's a great clip of Buckley's analysis of the 1968 Presidential election. Buckley's elitism, rich vocabulary, and powerful stage presence remind me how ripped off we are whenever we are forced to watch any of today's talking heads.




No comments: